Trippin'

I blogged in preparation for my trip to Utah a few times. Now that it's over, I guess I'll blog about all of the fun we had up there!

It started on Thursday morning. I flew from Tucson to Vegas. I waited there for not quite 2 hours. I got pretty bored, so I took to walking around the airport on the moving sidewalks. Those things are my favorite! And can I just say that you should never stop walking on a moving sidewalk. You are moving slower by standing on the moving sidewalk than normal walking! They're to get you places faster, not foster laziness! Silly people.

So I got on my plane that was bound for Salt Lake. I guess I was busy reading my book, because I didn't really realize that we waited around on the tarmac for so long until we were finally taking off. We taxied into position and out my window were 4 planes behind us, all waiting their turn to take off! In the end it was only an extra 30 minutes or so, and we didn't arrive very late in Salt Lake.

 [On a plane about to leave Las Vegas]
 [What the snow? In June? On a side note, San Francisco Peak had snow on it when we drove by on the way home. Snow in Arizona? In June? Craziness.]

I got off the plane and waited impatiently for my bag to get spit out at luggage claim. It finally did, and I went outside for Kelsey and her bud Brendan to pick me up. It was a pretty happy moment when that little car came around the corner!

We went back to Provo so Kels could get some of her stuff packed away and stored over at Paula's house. We went to Pirate Island for dinner. None of us had been there before, so we were all pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be Karaoke Thursday there! I won't lie, at first I was pretty unexcited about the prospects of 8 year olds singing bad covers of songs that are too mature for them. Ultimately though, we laughed a lot at those sweet spirits that braved the lights and microphone (there weren't any actual lights...) for their shot at the spotlight. The highlight was definitely a couple that sang some of the most awkward Enrique Iglesias I have ever heard. It was special, and oh so entertaining! Shout out to the DJ that ran the karaoke stuff, because he sang once with some little teeny bopper, and he was good, singing all these harmonies and stuff! By the time we left I was thoroughly in love with the place.

Then we spent 2 or 3 hours watching You Tube videos at Brendan's. That's right... 2 or 3 hours. But it was hilarious. Also, never watch the llamas in hats... so weird... My favorite video? Probably this one. "I'm sorry sir, she's with our Out of the Hood program." :)

The next day was full of adventure! We got up and got ready, and Kelsey was even ready by the designated time! Though she did have to suffer through two dreadfully burnt pieces of toast. And when I say burnt I mean nicely browned. She didn't like them very much. Brendan and I made fun of her.

We went to the Museum of Ancient Life at Thanksgiving Point. It was crazy cool! It's full of giant skeletons of dinosaurs. They have little ones, giant ones, flying ones, swimming ones, unborn ones, etc. It was exciting! They also have tons of murals over all the walls. It's pretty cool. Something that should have been cool was this scavenger hunt the museum has. When you walk in there is a little gnome, the sign says to find all 13 little gnomes hiding all over the museum. We thought it would be simple. This is a place for children, right? Wrong.  We found zero gnomes, even after asking for help from the staff. We kind of avoided eye contact when we left because we were ashamed to tell them that we couldn't find any. Haha

[We were measuring how tall the Elephant Bird was. Definitely a little taller than Kelsey.]
 [This was Brendan's favorite thing about the whole museum. He said he wants to put this logo on a shirt. Take from that what you will...]

Then we picked up Kate from the airport. She was a fun addition to our group. We went to Five Guys first, which was amazing, as always, and then headed over to the aquarium. We had a hilarious time there, petting sting rays, touching sea urchins, and feeling star fish. It was a fun time. We were just learning all about nature and animals and junk that day!


Next we went to the Mayan, which is this giant restaurant in Sandy. Inside its built to look like you're in these big trees in the jungle, not unlike the Rainforest Cafe, but with less of the cartoon feel. They have this giant wall (the whole place is like 3 stories tall), and every half hour or so there is a show, where the tribal Mayans of yore come and beat their drums before diving off into the pool of water at the bottom of the cliff. I had a good laugh about the Mayans all being pasty white kids from Sandy. The entertainment was an excellent addition to our delicious food.


The highlight of our time at the Mayan was when Brendan got up to ask the waiter about what they could bring to our table for Kate's birthday. Yeah, it wasn't Kate's birthday, and they don't do anything complimentary. Lame, right? But, as a little birthday treat, the chief of the Mayans came over and visited us! He may or may not have done a few pelvic thrusts in Kate's face. It was hysterical. We loved it.


That night we packed up Kelsey's car, and in the morning she and I took off on the trek home. As it turns out, from Provo to my house it is about 750 miles, which we may or may not have driven in just under 11.5 hours. We rock.

It was such a fun few days, and I'm glad to have been able to spend some one on one time with Kelsey before she goes back to school this fall and I go off to serve my mission. :)

Comments

streeker said…
Haha, that all looks awesome! Sounds like you had a hilarious time :)
kendle sue said…
Oh man. I missed a good time, but I'm so glad you got to go up and drive home with Kels though.

We're gonna have a good summer :)
Lou said…
Oh my heavens. . . white kids as Mayans? Only in Utah. :) lol I'm glad ya'll had an awesome time :)
kelsey said…
Best trip home ever. Thanks for coming up and hanging out and then driving 11 (heck yes!) hours home. You're the best!!

Popular posts from this blog

Iced Over

Maturing

Space Travel