An Accounting
This year was not great for most people. There were big stretches of it I certainly didn't enjoy. But there were some unique opportunities that could have only occurred in the refining fire of struggle. To list them isn't to detract from the suffering, uncertainty, and the things I still yearn for, but not acknowledging them would make me ungrateful and short-sighted. Those are two things I certainly try to avoid.
![]() |
| We rule the courts in Mesa. Watch out. |
I'm grateful that 2020 has presented opportunities for me to try some new hobbies. I've mentioned this multiple times recently, but I read more books than I have in years, and I'm so happy to have been entertained, challenged, and moved by the words other people committed themselves to write. My world is bigger for it. I've also done more things outdoors than I probably would have otherwise. There was no shortage of time to walk and run along canal banks, try new hiking trails, finally nail down some wakeboarding skills, and pick up pickleball. Some of these things were solo adventures, others I was able to do with friends. Both scenarios were incredibly worthwhile.
![]() |
| A very fun adventure cutting Christmas trees with my siblings. |
I'm hopeful that next year brings back some of the things I've missed. I'm also hopeful that in the time between now and whenever "normal" returns, I'll keep seeing the bright spots.
| It was hard to not see each other in person as much, but we found ways to make it work. |


Comments