Loved
"You know everyone, don't you?" he said to me as we walked down the hall towards the clerk's office. I had just high fived someone that we passed walking the other way. I hadn't even thought twice about the gesture, it just felt normal.
And yeah, I know plenty of people in my ward. I've been here for two-and-a-half years now, which I would hope is long enough to make some connections. But as I thought about his question over the course of the day, what I really think this new friend of mine was saying was this: "You really have a family here, don't you? You are loved here, aren't you?" And the more I thought about it, the more overwhelmed I was at the truth of what he was getting at.
My life in Mesa has had some challenges, of course. We've all got them. But my time here has also been everything I never knew I needed, all thanks to the amazing people that I've been able to rub shoulders with. And when I really stop to think about it and acknowledge just how smart and loving God is, I am floored that He would lead my life to this place at this time, where I would get to know so many people that would shape me in ways I can barely explain.
The last two years have taught me the value of trusting other people with the hardest, darkest parts of my life, and my friends sure stepped up to carry that baggage with me. And I'm still lugging those bags around, but letting some of these people in made it so much easier knowing that I didn't have to do it all alone. The fact that they didn't run away when I let them know who I really am is even more astonishing. To be seen just as you are and be loved anyway is a truly remarkable experience.
And isn't that principle of loving imperfect, struggling people exactly what Jesus did? I have been so impressed to watch young adults as equally confused and lost in this giant world as me commit to blessing the lives of anyone they meet. I have been on the receiving end of that more times than I can count since moving here.
Because I've learned to let others help me along the way, I've really tried to be someone that helps others too. And this process of giving myself more freely to other people has brought so many amazing opportunities into my life. I have watched people completely change their spiritual lives with some encouragement. To sit alongside people that are hurting and to watch these people find the solace they need with a little help along the way is so amazing.
With these connections, I've also laughed harder than I ever have before (and we all know just how loud my laugh is!). My friends have taught me so much about life, about the gospel, and about real happiness than I could have ever expected. It's really something to think about how different, how much better I am, because of who God has brought into my life.
So, if you're reading this, thanks for being who you are. You've taught me how to serve, how to enjoy life, how to roll with the punches, and how to love and be loved.
And yeah, I know plenty of people in my ward. I've been here for two-and-a-half years now, which I would hope is long enough to make some connections. But as I thought about his question over the course of the day, what I really think this new friend of mine was saying was this: "You really have a family here, don't you? You are loved here, aren't you?" And the more I thought about it, the more overwhelmed I was at the truth of what he was getting at.
My life in Mesa has had some challenges, of course. We've all got them. But my time here has also been everything I never knew I needed, all thanks to the amazing people that I've been able to rub shoulders with. And when I really stop to think about it and acknowledge just how smart and loving God is, I am floored that He would lead my life to this place at this time, where I would get to know so many people that would shape me in ways I can barely explain.
The last two years have taught me the value of trusting other people with the hardest, darkest parts of my life, and my friends sure stepped up to carry that baggage with me. And I'm still lugging those bags around, but letting some of these people in made it so much easier knowing that I didn't have to do it all alone. The fact that they didn't run away when I let them know who I really am is even more astonishing. To be seen just as you are and be loved anyway is a truly remarkable experience.
And isn't that principle of loving imperfect, struggling people exactly what Jesus did? I have been so impressed to watch young adults as equally confused and lost in this giant world as me commit to blessing the lives of anyone they meet. I have been on the receiving end of that more times than I can count since moving here.
Because I've learned to let others help me along the way, I've really tried to be someone that helps others too. And this process of giving myself more freely to other people has brought so many amazing opportunities into my life. I have watched people completely change their spiritual lives with some encouragement. To sit alongside people that are hurting and to watch these people find the solace they need with a little help along the way is so amazing.
So, if you're reading this, thanks for being who you are. You've taught me how to serve, how to enjoy life, how to roll with the punches, and how to love and be loved.
Comments