I got a haircut today. It had been 16 weeks and 2 days since my last one, which is an abnormally long time for guys to go between haircuts. (I don't actively keep count, I looked back at my calendar, I swear) Anyway, I'm glad it's gone. :)
This whole post is collection of the stuff that has happened in the last few days. You've been given fair warning as to how random all of this is. Firstly, remember when I posted the other day about how cold it was? Yeah, that was nothing. It got way colder than that. On Wednesday or Thursday, I checked the weather, and with windchill the temperature was 5 degrees. That doesn't happen here! Kelsey, I know you're scoffing again, but that's crazy business! At any rate, I got to wear my big coat with fur, my scarf, and a fun beanie! Also, our fountains froze over! It was totally nuts, but so dang cool to see. The weather has warmed up, but there's still ice out there. Also, remember when I posted about all of our lights that were trying to keep our plants warm? They didn't really work. Most of them are damaged now, and my dad isn't sure how well they'll come back. As he says it, frost-tolerant plants are rarely pretty. That's why we don't own any....
Do you ever say something and then think, "Whoa, that just sounded like dad/mom?" Well, I definitely did that the other day, and I was kind of proud it happened. I've got rockin' parents, if you didn't know. Now you know. :: On a different note, Nicole got married today. She looked stunning. It's sad to see her start this chapter of her life, because we're kind of on different pages now (to keep with the literary metaphor). But the more I think about it, the more that's the way it's meant to be. I'll find myself a good spouse someday, as will all of my friends. We'll all leave each other behind to find bigger and better things in this life, and the only thing left in the end will be an empty stretch of road that we all used to travel together. We'll each replace that stretch that we once took together in favor of individual roads that lead us on to better things. We can chase our dreams a little more fervently when you have that comp...
For a minute there, I was mad at my therapist. Not for a breach of confidence or any other kind of unprofessional behavior. No, I was mad at him because he’s right, and he has been for the better part of the three years I’ve been working with him. Change is hard, and the process to develop personally can be grueling. But even if I was mad, it’s not lost on me how lucky I am that I’ve got a trained professional to help me through it all. Most remarkable about what I’m realizing isn’t that this guy has been right all along—I knew he had credentials and a wealth of experience at the outset—it’s that he has allowed this process to be mine , even if it probably (certainly) prolonged the outcome. He has let me move at the pace that’s appropriate for me, even though the path through this maze has probably looked pretty clear from his vantage point. While the endpoint, the goal of getting through this maze, was why I started working with him, the fact that he didn’t dictate anything has meant ...
Comments