Finley Finalist
Get this -- I got an email last week saying that I had been nominated for the Finley Newswriting Competition. The email told me that I was nominated by my Reporting the News (JOUR 205) professor, and that the nominees were chosen as the most promising of the early newswriting students.
The email also told me that, if I were to participate, all of the competitors were going to listen to Peter Smith, of UA's Planetary Science department give a press conference. There would be a question and answer session to follow for our clarification. After the questions, we had an hour to write a news story about the press conference and whatever Smith had talked about.
At first, I didn't really plan on participating. In fact, my professor, Nancy (who we all love), called all of her nominees (there were 4 or 5 from my class and 4 or 5 from the other 3 JOUR 205 sections). Nancy informed us that she chose us because we had the highest grades, and thus the best shot at this of the bunch.
I was surprised, slightly flattered, and altogether much more interested in the competition because of the the prize ($750 for first, $350 for second, and $250 for third).
One glitch. I work in the Planetary Sciences department. I know who Peter Smith is. Have I ever spoken to him? No. Do I work closely with any of his projects? No. I told my professor that I had absolutely no qualms about not participating if there was some kind of conflict of interest in me participating because of my relationship with the department.
Well, she conferred with the people running the competition and they said they were fine with it, because the news story was based only on information given during the press conference. Any prior knowledge of Peter Smith or his work was not to be used, however it was encouraged that participants did background research on him. With that, I chose to participate in the writing competition.
My friends and I go cruising into the lab last night where the press conference was held. Peter talked for 20 minutes, we asked questions for 20 minutes, and then we were given an hour to write.
I am normally a pretty fast writer. I stared at the computer screen for a few minutes stewing over what to write. I started going, editing, rearranging, writing more, etc. An hour seemed like an eternity to cover the material in the press conference.
Out of nowhere, the woman patrolling the room calls out, "10 minutes left!" Good thing I was basically done. I finished editing, printed my story, and we left the room.
The people administering the competition told us they would have the results emailed to us sometime today. I checked my mail at least 6 times before 1 p.m. Nothing.
Whatever. I had tried hard not to get my hopes up. After all, everyone present was nominated because of their writing proficiency. Plus, my journalistic future has been in serious question lately, since I've contemplated choosing a different major.
I visited my mom in her office before I came into work. She asked if I had heard anything, and I told her no. She jumped onto the journalism school's website to see. Sure enough, results had been posted!
I came in second place! I am officially a Finley Newswriting Finalist... Well, everyone who participated is a finalist, but how cool that I got second place!
I don't know how or when I get the prize, but I'm pretty excited, and remarkably blown away. I felt good about what I had written, honestly, but when you're in a room full of people who know how and enjoy writing, it's pretty intimidating.
Can you believe it?! I can't. Still. But I'm super excited, and I feel like I've made Nancy proud. She's taught me a lot about journalistic writing, and I really am almost liking it. Am I liking it because I just won $350? Maybe, but it's got me thinking about my future in journalism, and I'm very seriously thinking about keeping the major, at least for one more semester.
Today has been a good day. :)
The email also told me that, if I were to participate, all of the competitors were going to listen to Peter Smith, of UA's Planetary Science department give a press conference. There would be a question and answer session to follow for our clarification. After the questions, we had an hour to write a news story about the press conference and whatever Smith had talked about.
At first, I didn't really plan on participating. In fact, my professor, Nancy (who we all love), called all of her nominees (there were 4 or 5 from my class and 4 or 5 from the other 3 JOUR 205 sections). Nancy informed us that she chose us because we had the highest grades, and thus the best shot at this of the bunch.
I was surprised, slightly flattered, and altogether much more interested in the competition because of the the prize ($750 for first, $350 for second, and $250 for third).
One glitch. I work in the Planetary Sciences department. I know who Peter Smith is. Have I ever spoken to him? No. Do I work closely with any of his projects? No. I told my professor that I had absolutely no qualms about not participating if there was some kind of conflict of interest in me participating because of my relationship with the department.
Well, she conferred with the people running the competition and they said they were fine with it, because the news story was based only on information given during the press conference. Any prior knowledge of Peter Smith or his work was not to be used, however it was encouraged that participants did background research on him. With that, I chose to participate in the writing competition.
My friends and I go cruising into the lab last night where the press conference was held. Peter talked for 20 minutes, we asked questions for 20 minutes, and then we were given an hour to write.
I am normally a pretty fast writer. I stared at the computer screen for a few minutes stewing over what to write. I started going, editing, rearranging, writing more, etc. An hour seemed like an eternity to cover the material in the press conference.
Out of nowhere, the woman patrolling the room calls out, "10 minutes left!" Good thing I was basically done. I finished editing, printed my story, and we left the room.
The people administering the competition told us they would have the results emailed to us sometime today. I checked my mail at least 6 times before 1 p.m. Nothing.
Whatever. I had tried hard not to get my hopes up. After all, everyone present was nominated because of their writing proficiency. Plus, my journalistic future has been in serious question lately, since I've contemplated choosing a different major.
I visited my mom in her office before I came into work. She asked if I had heard anything, and I told her no. She jumped onto the journalism school's website to see. Sure enough, results had been posted!
I came in second place! I am officially a Finley Newswriting Finalist... Well, everyone who participated is a finalist, but how cool that I got second place!
I don't know how or when I get the prize, but I'm pretty excited, and remarkably blown away. I felt good about what I had written, honestly, but when you're in a room full of people who know how and enjoy writing, it's pretty intimidating.
Can you believe it?! I can't. Still. But I'm super excited, and I feel like I've made Nancy proud. She's taught me a lot about journalistic writing, and I really am almost liking it. Am I liking it because I just won $350? Maybe, but it's got me thinking about my future in journalism, and I'm very seriously thinking about keeping the major, at least for one more semester.
Today has been a good day. :)
Comments